Saturday, September 29, 2012

Material things



My steps faltered as I stepped out into the scorching sun. I checked my watch again, with a hope that there might be some time to spare. But the watch showed no mercy. It was my wonderland and I was stepping out of it in 15 min after buying only what I needed. Outside, colorful and intricately decorated artifacts lured me to pause, but I rushed past them. That Sunday when I had to work from home, this added to my already long cribbing list.
I think, the shopophobes are already bored, and the Shopaholics have probably never experienced this (nothing would make them leave the shop without buying what they get attracted to). So that leaves Shop-o-philics like me. I think my intelligent readers (if any) will get this term.
Seriously, it feels like ages since I have shopped wholeheartedly. I remember the idle walks through the Brigade road and Church Street when I wanted a big break and through the local Malleshwaram crosses when it was a ‘chhota’ break. I have found similar zones in Mumbai as well, but the excessive crowd and heat/rain (specially if outside a mall) is the downer. It’s not that I end up buying or spending a lot, just small things - sometimes useful sometimes useless. Thankfully, for me and my husband, I don’t have the guts to spend lump sum amount at a time. After selecting 5-6 things at a time, I still end up discarding a few, just before the cash counter.
But one thing which is very different from my friends who like Shopping is that I truly like to shop alone. With nobody to influence my choice and more importantly complain about the time I take, it also ends up being a perfect ‘me’ time.
I realize that it is not so much fun, writing about Shopping as I thought it would be. Anyways, it had been a long time since I posted anything. Besides, just like my shopping, when I have really written anything ‘useful’.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written article,.! http://www.cozyvision.com/

Anonymous said...

Well written article.! http://www.overseascareer.net/

Anonymous said...

I can understand the term shop-o-philics so can count myself as intelligent reader :). I avoid shopping for a big amount myself and would mostly end up buying only 1-2 items unless our clear focus is to buy more.

I am more of a shopophobic but like to see attractive stuff and just stop by to have a look and think about the utility for me.
BY the way, I liked the way you summed up shopping experience for you.

Parsh said...

Liked your post. You should be writing more in your me time :). I had a totally different perspective being audience on such occasions here https://parshwadeep.blogspot.com/2011/11/shopping.html?m=1