Friday, January 4, 2008

So what if i can't write well......

There are somethings that you are good at and you enjoy doing;there are others that you are good at but do not enjoy and lastly there are some that you enjoy but are not good at. For me writing belongs to the last category. By writing , i mean stories , poems,etc....Since school days i had harbored this dream that one day i will write a novel(and that it will turn out to be a bestseller,win a prize,etc,etc,etc)....I still vaguely remember the first story that I had written when i was 6 or 7. Only thing i vividly remember about it is that I had killed one of the characters by making her come under a bicycle(coz i found a Truck or bus to be too violent).Poems i left as soon as i began when i realised writing poems was much more than making them rhyme(To say that I was bad at it would be an Understatement). Even later I used to come up with an idea which I used to think was great. After continuing on that thought for some time(max i have written is 5 pages), I used to see the loop holes in it and find everything extremely childish. In short i was bad at creativity.
Then while reading Ruskin Bond stories I realised that you need not have such a great story line with twists and turns .A simple story with empahasis on detailed description also made for an interesting reading. I remember his story called " The Cherry Tree" which just chronicled the growth of a cherry tree from a seed to the fruit bearing stage. But the beauty of the story lay in
the comparison of the growth of the tree and that of the boy who planted it and his relationship with his Grandpa. So i thought of trying out his style of writing. But i am sure that you have guessed by now that I could not accomplish that too.
I had almost given up on Writing when I saw the emergence of Blogs. Suddenly everybody had there own blogs and were writing on any thing and everything under the Sun . After resisting for a long time to become one of them, i joined the gang.
So what if I can't write well........... I can blog

6 comments:

Prajakta said...

Truthful and honest, tinged with humor, I liked it.

Onkar Bhardwaj said...

welcome to the blogosphere !!

onkar

Unknown said...

oye what do U mean I cnat write but can blog.... hmmmm... very impertinent for the whole bloggers community.... ;-)
just kiddin....
very well written....
wont say sumthing different coz 99 of the 100 bloggers start this way (I mean Y they truned up to blogging)...
but I really njoied reading it...
keep posting

sid said...

welcome to the world of blogging ..
even i started recently
it is addictive for sure..

vinay said...

hahaha...i am not only laughing at your denial of possessing good writing skills but also at that idea of somebody getting killed by coming under a bicycle...sahi idea really !(i am damn serious)...hahaha(and i am not mocking at it by laughing out, but laughing out of amazement)...although it sounds childish and although the fact that somebody got killed was not a very pleasant event, the idea in itself is different and something which is quite difficult to conjure up especially by grown-ups. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this entry and many things that you have mentioned are those which most of us experience. And yes ! 'The Cherry Tree' is lovely !

parikshit naik said...

felt like someone has reciprocated my views... though i never cherished becoming writer/poet... but one thing is for sure that i can't write... but who cares!! i can blog !! ;)