Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hopping Lamp

I hate it when my mother comments, " You are watching cartoon?" And not that I don't like Cartoons, but because it is so much more than that,I end up defending it, "It's Animation". If you were to see my list of all time favorites and most re-watched movies, animation films would probably top my list.
So no wonder when I was trying to choose a movie on Netflix yesterday, Toy Story-3 was the obvious choice. And then I saw something else that caught my attention : The Pixar Story, Documentary on Pixar Corporation. Any animation movie buff, would be aware of them. I think it was Bug's Life that first made me Google them. This one and a half hour documentary takes you through the rise of this extra ordinarily creative company and the people behind it. I had known that Steve Jobs had acquired this company early on, but I was oblivious to the real team behind it.
Most inspiring was John Lasseter, the creative head of Pixar. From traditional 2D animation at Disney, to experimentation at George Lucas Studios and finally making of Toy Story, first feature film made entirely with CGI. What impressed me the most, was their focus on technology only as a tool for telling story in as real form as possible, instead of creating stories to show off technology. The characters and scenes that seem so simple, like the colorful under-water world in Finding Nemo or the nearly microscopic life of Ants and Bugs are actually the biggest challenges. Getting the right look for Human hair , when it is wet vs. when it is blowing in the wind, it is these details that make the movie.
Thinking of inanimate objects having feelings had always fascinated me and these people were bringing this imagination to life. After 10 min of Wall-E you don't think of it as just a machine. The Hopping Luxo Lamp, their Logo completely reflects this DNA.
To see the sketch of Mike from Monsters' Inc on paper to him singing on screen, it is no less than magic.
My blogs generally don't have any pictures. But for this I nearly thought that I could sketch my favorite characters and post it on the blog. Just kidding, magic can't happen, at least in this area :)
Just a snippet here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUuwOl8CZw4&feature=related

6 comments:

Onkar Bhardwaj said...

So much influenced? I told you yest I will watch it but today ended up watching Star Trek!

Wish you could have drawn the pictures and posted :)

Manasi said...

I would probably have got a comment, " Oh...that's supposed to be Woody?"

Onkar Bhardwaj said...

And you could have said, "Yes.. That's magic!"

Anish Sane said...

Completely agree...
The emotions & expressions shown in Animation movies are sometimes much better than non-animation (Manasi style :P) movie - see Wall-E. The creativity is also just awesome - Alladin or Cars, or even Tom & Jerry...

& I hate it when someone asks me, evadha motha zalasa ani cartoon baghatoyas. x-( :@

vinay said...

cartoons are a great joy really :) and apart from the animations that are so wonderfully worked over and created, even the sounds, voice overs, title songs etc. are amazing! In some ways, these voice overs become a cult over time and always make you smile..from imagination to execution, cartoons and animations are really some serious art..

I am really happy, till now, about one thing regarding cartoons that they haven't tried drama or some grown-up, serious issues in their storyline..and still I fear that possibility. Somehow, cartoons seem to be about innocence of a kid's mind and that's the way I have been able to relate to them and enjoy them. They are always about joy, simple stories, adventures, mysteries, heroism, happiness and all enjoyable things

Suneel Madhekar said...

Computer games and cartoon films... two areas where computer graphics is mind-blowingly real..!